Log in

No account? Create an account
katori blog [entries|archive|friends|userinfo]
susan smitten

[ website | katoributa.com ]
[ userinfo | view my profile ]
[ archive | browse this journal by date ]
[ categories | browse this journal by topic ]

Celebratory Pan Throwing [Jul. 17th, 2006|03:35 pm]
susan smitten

We had these crummy fake-nonstick pans.

Don especially found them distasteful.

So we ceremoniously threw them down the chute!

Meanwhile, Don has mounted our good pans this way! He wants me to mention that he ran out of copper polish, so that's why they don't look as pretty as they usually do.

This is new, too. Lids go here!

[User Picture]From: webwawa
2006-07-17 01:02 pm (UTC)
is there an ikea in dubai? ;)
(Reply) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: chu_hi
2006-07-17 01:04 pm (UTC)
How can you tell?!? =)
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: webwawa
2006-07-17 01:05 pm (UTC)
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: chu_hi
2006-07-17 01:08 pm (UTC)
We have sooo many hexkeys. (Is that what they're called?)
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: webwawa
2006-07-17 01:29 pm (UTC)
for what? what? these things? ;)
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: chu_hi
2006-07-17 02:43 pm (UTC)
Well.. I was actually thinking of the tool to tighten or loosen screws with hexagonally shaped heads.. but maybe you could use them on those things, too?

Um.. what are those things?
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: webwawa
2006-07-17 04:09 pm (UTC)
oh ;D
just recognized the spize rack and pot rack
because i had them in new jersey

those things are Skekses from the dark crystal LOL
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: chu_hi
2006-07-18 08:18 am (UTC)
Hexkeys/Skekses, hahaha!! =) Ikea stores bore me a little, but certain things they've got are highly useful. And we only paid about $6.80 each for the pot racks.
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: octal
2006-07-18 10:09 am (UTC)
Ikea Dubai seemed painfully overpriced (at least the festival city one), although possibly I was misremembering Ikea pricing from the US. It semeed 1.5-2x more expensive than US Ikeas from online pricing, though.

It may be due to relative positioning of IKEA over here. I remember reading about the people crushed in mob at the opening of the Amman Ikea.
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: chu_hi
2014-05-06 07:22 pm (UTC)
I miss you. Reading these comments makes me feel like you're back. I saw a few of your friends the other day at the 5k, the one you were supposed to be at. I felt like you knew we'd all be there. Your team raised the largest portion of the $80k raised. It's been less than a month since I talked to you. The world isn't the same without you.
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: octal
2006-07-17 07:52 pm (UTC)
Allen keys, if they fit in a hex-shaped socket. They are used on all sorts of stuff, since slipping doesn't strip the head like a philips (cross) or slotted screw would, and it doesn't scuff the surface. I learned about a cool "ball head allen key", which lets you use it at up to a 45 degree angle from the work surface.

The square-hole kind are Torx; they allow power tools to apply more torque, and thus to make automated assembly faster. Most common use is on Macintoshes. (T-10)

I have all sorts of these drivers, since satcom equipment uses them, often multiple types on a single assembly.

I've gotten lazy in my old age, and if I need to screw something, I'll use a bit in a ratcheting screwdriver, vs. a regular one. Or MAYBE a power screwdriver, but I don't have a good/small one, and it's also easy to mess up with those.
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: readherring
2006-07-18 12:45 am (UTC)
Just curious, are you British? Brits call them either Allen keys or hex wrenches, while Americans call them either Allen wrenches or hex keys.

And yeah, the ball-heads rock.
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: octal
2006-07-18 10:07 am (UTC)
I usually call the individual ones provided as part of ikea "keys" (allen or hex, interchangeably, but she was looking for something other than hex)

If it is as part of a larger hardware set, or a comprehensive size array, I'd call them allen wrenches. Never "allen key set".

I lived in London and offshore-UK for a while. I guess that's when I started doing hardware stuff, out of necessity; before that, I was pretty much a crypto/math geek exclusively, and didn't deal with anything except on-computer.

Of course, after the caribbean, offshore, and Iraq, I am pretty comfortable doing most mechanical/electrical/hydraulic things. I wish I could be an A&P mechanic in skill level (I've worked with some, and they're pretty much the only "mechanical" people, other than mechanical engineers doing design-for-production, that I'd trust with anything critical)
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: antivert
2006-07-18 07:01 am (UTC)
I've got a small set of Torx of the sizes required for opening xboxes. :) Total coincidence there. And.. they're star-shaped! I've seen those oddly shaped 'new' torx or something that look vaguely squareish but I think it may be a different brand name.

The Ace Hardware at Festival City is finally almost very nearly a real hardware store. It's no Home Depot or Lowe's, but it's huge and I was finally able to buy some PC-7 epoxy in Dubai. :)
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread) (Expand)
[User Picture]From: joshdavis
2006-07-18 04:20 am (UTC)

(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)